This is it. You’re really doing it. You’re moving. Congratulations! Now, you need a moving checklist…
Moving can be equal parts celebration and panic. After the initial excitement of signing a lease or closing on a house wears off, there will come a moment when you ask yourself, “How am I going to move all this stuff?” Sure, moving might seem like a daunting task at first, but, with a little advanced planning, moving day can go from stressful to almost—dare we say it?—enjoyable.
In order to help you have a smooth transition from your old place to your new one, we’ve put together a handy checklist for moving day. The sooner you start working down this list, the better. It goes without saying (though we’re happy to remind you), we’d love it if you started by checking to see if you’re in a Bellhops location. After that, well, here you go:
- Before you figure out how you’re going to move everything you’re taking with you, you need to deal with everything that you’re leaving behind. Set aside the items you no longer need or want. Sell some on Craigslist or hold a yard sale. Donate other items to people or organizations that could use them. You’ll probably have some things that can go to your local recycling center, and you’ll definitely have a lot of stuff that you can simply throw away.
- It’s going to take you a couple of days to unpack and get settled into your new place. A “first night” box is helpful, but we also recommend packing a suitcase for yourself to sustain you for the first few days of the move, when everything is scattered everywhere.
- No matter how organized you are, it’s easy to lose track of things on moving day. With your moving checklist, create a moving folder. Keep all of your important documents (receipts, budget, etc.) in it so they don’t get lost during the transition. Before you load up the truck, stick the folder in a filing cabinet, desk, safety deposit box, or other secure location.
- While you won’t want to do much cooking while you’re packing up your old place, you really won’t want to cook while you’re unpacking your new one. Start using up all of the food in your refrigerator and freezer. Refrain from doing too much grocery shopping or buying in bulk before your move.
- Moving is hectic, regardless of how much planning you’ve done beforehand. If you need to, take some vacation time at work to coincide with the days surrounding your move, and consider scheduling a babysitter and/or pet sitter for the day of the move, too, if needed. This is definitely a must moving checklist items.
- Properly labeling your moving boxes while you’re packing can save you a lot of time when it’s time to unload. Find and/or order boxes—you’re probably going to need at least 60—then pick up some permanent markers, and several rolls of packing tape. Mark each box with the items it contains and which room it’s going to, and bring each box directly to its intended room when you unload the truck. (Here are a few more packing hacks we’ve put together to help make your moving day easier.)
- Not only does all your stuff need to get to your new place, but your mail does, too. Be sure to complete a change of address form (online or at your local post office) before you move. You will also need to notify your credit card companies, banks, newspapers and/or magazines you subscribe to, and any other necessary companies or organizations of your move.
- Be sure to notify your utility services—electricity, water, cable/Internet, trash, etc.—at both your old and new locations of the day you’ll be moving. Also, be sure to inquire before moving day about any deposits or other fees you might be responsible for.
Once you’ve completed this list, take a moment to sit back, relax, and enjoy your new home. You’ve earned it.
Create your own moving checklist and make this exciting transition even smoother. Thank you for reading!
Whether you need a little help with your move, or a lot, Bellhops is here for you. Check to see if Bellhops we are in your location and feel free to contact us with any questions you may have.
Bellhops are handpicked, hardworking movers who make moving affordable for everyone. Book Bellhops online in minutes and save half the cost compared to hiring a traditional moving company.
Is there anything you’d like us to write about? Email our editor at firstname.lastname@example.org